Search for the cream of St Albans’ young musical talent
SCHOOL children in St Albans are being encouraged to take part in a prestigious new music competition.
Primary and secondary school pupils have until Friday October 21 to submit a CD recording of their performance to enter the inaugural St Albans Young Musicians 2012 contest.
Gerald Corbett, chairman of St Albans Cathedral Music Trust, which is organising the contest, said it was a great way to engage children in both music and heritage.
He added: “The competition is designed to be fun whilst rewarding some of our most talented local musicians.”
CD entries will be shortlisted by a panel of high profile judges who will be announced in the next few weeks.
You may also want to watch:
Those shortlisted will perform at a finals competition on Sunday April 1 at the University of Hertfordshire. Also next year, winners of each category will be awarded a �100 cash prize, and be invited to perform at a prestigious musical gala dinner in St Albans Cathedral on May 5 to raise funds for the Music Trust.
Heads of music at the schools of Beaumont, Abbey Primary and St Albans have also backed the contest.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 7 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 8 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 9 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Entries can be sent to The Music Trust, St Albans Cathedral, Sumpter Yard, St Albans AL1 1BY.