Search for the cream of St Albans’ young musical talent
SCHOOL children in St Albans are being encouraged to take part in a prestigious new music competition.
Primary and secondary school pupils have until Friday October 21 to submit a CD recording of their performance to enter the inaugural St Albans Young Musicians 2012 contest.
Gerald Corbett, chairman of St Albans Cathedral Music Trust, which is organising the contest, said it was a great way to engage children in both music and heritage.
He added: “The competition is designed to be fun whilst rewarding some of our most talented local musicians.”
CD entries will be shortlisted by a panel of high profile judges who will be announced in the next few weeks.
Those shortlisted will perform at a finals competition on Sunday April 1 at the University of Hertfordshire. Also next year, winners of each category will be awarded a �100 cash prize, and be invited to perform at a prestigious musical gala dinner in St Albans Cathedral on May 5 to raise funds for the Music Trust.
Heads of music at the schools of Beaumont, Abbey Primary and St Albans have also backed the contest.
- 1 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
Entries can be sent to The Music Trust, St Albans Cathedral, Sumpter Yard, St Albans AL1 1BY.