Search for new St Albans Morris Men!
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Morris Needs You - if they aren’t to become extinct that is.
Recruitment difficulties mean that unless the club can attract new dancers, female and male, St Albans Morris will not be able to continue.
And that would spell the end of the side - the way morris clubs are known - which has been dancing around the city for the past 85 years.
In a bid to stave of its demise, the side is holding a taster evening from 8pm on Monday, November 9, at the Scout Hut in Riverside Road, its usual practice venue.
It is a chance for men and women who are interested to come along and try the dances. No experience is needed - just enthusiasm and two hankies.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans Morris Men, as it was known when it was founded in the early 1930s, took part in largely one-off events in the early days but after the war, the side appeared on a BBC TV programme as well as becoming the first to organise a ‘ring meeting’ based on its home ground rather than members coming together in ‘neutral’ areas of interest.
The side has toured both Europe and on the West Coast of America and at its peak it had over 25 dancers.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
But it now needs new blood and is concerned that not only are people too shy to join in but are also less willing to join clubs of any sort.
For more details about the side and the recruitment evening, phone 01727 833028 or 01707 883476.