Scott Hamilton Quartet at Herts Jazz Club
- Credit: Archant
THE Scott Hamilton Quartet is playing the Herts Jazz Club this Sunday, January 13.
Scott is returning to the club at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City, after packing the house in Codicote a couple of years ago.
He has been globally recognised as being a musician at the vanguard of his genre since hitting the scene in New York in 1977, playing with Roy Eldridge and Poppa Jo Jones.
Scott takes his inspiration from the pre-Coltrane era saxophone greats – Ben Webster, Zoot Sims, and Don Byas. He was a lone maverick in the late 70s, evoking the swing tradition at a time when the electric fusion of jazz and funk was in vogue. Swimming against the tide, he carved out a niche for himself, foreshadowing the arrival of the “Young Lions” retro-movement in the early 80s.
The quartet also features John Pearce, piano, Dave Green, bass and Clark Tracey, drums. The evening runs from 8pm until 10.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are £13 advance from http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, £16 at the door and £5 for students and under-21s.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 Sustainable St Albans hosting Open Food Gardens event across district