Sandpit Theatre, St Albans, is waking up
AN 18th century play which has been transformed into a new musical with 21st century rock and dance is being performed by local youngsters next month.
Spectrum Theatre Arts, a group of teenagers aged between 15 and 19, are putting on musical Spring Awakening at the Sandpit Theatre in Marshalswick on September 10 and 11.
It is the first amateur performance since the play finished on the West End stage and is being directed by Shen Woolf.
Shen and musical director Dean Evans decided to involve local teenagers in re-creating the play for the amateur stage – even though it has explicit sexual scenes and members of the audience need to be over 15 to watch it or be accompanied by an adult.
Shen and Dean are playing the adult parts in the production which features energetic dance routines which have been choreographed by Andrea Campusano.
Spectrum are rehearsing six hours a week in Harpenden and Shen said: “Obviously the content is extremely sensitive and these teenagers – members had to be over 15 to be in it – have a very professional approach and it doesn’t deserve to go without recognition.”
Spring Awakening is based on a play of the same name written in 1891 and set in Germany but it was adapted into a rock musical for the West End stage. It still uses the same content and language as the original text but adds its own 21st century twist with rock and dance routines incorporated.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 5 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 6 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 7 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
Bookings are being taken through the website www.sandpittheatre.co.uk