Sandpit Theatre, St Albans, is waking up
AN 18th century play which has been transformed into a new musical with 21st century rock and dance is being performed by local youngsters next month.
Spectrum Theatre Arts, a group of teenagers aged between 15 and 19, are putting on musical Spring Awakening at the Sandpit Theatre in Marshalswick on September 10 and 11.
It is the first amateur performance since the play finished on the West End stage and is being directed by Shen Woolf.
Shen and musical director Dean Evans decided to involve local teenagers in re-creating the play for the amateur stage – even though it has explicit sexual scenes and members of the audience need to be over 15 to watch it or be accompanied by an adult.
Shen and Dean are playing the adult parts in the production which features energetic dance routines which have been choreographed by Andrea Campusano.
You may also want to watch:
Spectrum are rehearsing six hours a week in Harpenden and Shen said: “Obviously the content is extremely sensitive and these teenagers – members had to be over 15 to be in it – have a very professional approach and it doesn’t deserve to go without recognition.”
Spring Awakening is based on a play of the same name written in 1891 and set in Germany but it was adapted into a rock musical for the West End stage. It still uses the same content and language as the original text but adds its own 21st century twist with rock and dance routines incorporated.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Bookings are being taken through the website www.sandpittheatre.co.uk