Russian drama at University of Herts
A CONCERT to brush away the cobwebs is how the University of Herts is describing the next appearance by the de Havilland Philharmonic Orchestra. It is being held at 7.30pm on Sunday, December 13, at The Weston Auditorium at the de Havilland campus at the
A CONCERT to brush away the cobwebs is how the University of Herts is describing the next appearance by the de Havilland Philharmonic Orchestra.
It is being held at 7.30pm on Sunday, December 13, at The Weston Auditorium at the de Havilland campus at the university in Hatfield.
The concert opens with Rachmaninov's Piano concerto No. 3 in D minor, Op 30 which is famous for its technical and musical demands on the performer and has the reputation of being one of the most difficult concertos in the standard piano repertoire.
The second half features Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony written in the mid-1880s and inspired by Lord Byron's Manfred poem.
You may also want to watch:
It is a symphony of extreme drama and complexity from a composer who never shied away from self expression.
Howard Burrell, Professor Emeritus and artistic director of the de Havilland Philharmonic, said: "Known as Tchaikovsky's seventh symphony, the Manfred Symphony is a grippingly dramatic piece showing off Tchaikovsky's great skill both as a scene depictor and orchestrator to the full."
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Tickets are �16 with concessions �13 and students �6, available from the box office on 01707 281127 or email firstname.lastname@example.org