Roy is key for orchestra
RENOWNED pianist Roy Howat will join the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra for a concert in St Albans next weekend. The orchestra will be playing a programme of Ravel, Copland and Schubert in the concert at 7.30pm next Saturday, January 26, at St Peter s Church.
RENOWNED pianist Roy Howat will join the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra for a concert in St Albans next weekend.
The orchestra will be playing a programme of Ravel, Copland and Schubert in the concert at 7.30pm next Saturday, January 26, at St Peter's Church.
Roy is recognised as one of the finest interpreters of 20th-century French piano music, having been taught by Vlado Perlemuter who was himself taught by Ravel.
In the concert, Roy will be performing Ravel's Piano Concerto in G major, one of the composer's most tuneful masterpieces which reflects the colour and excitement of Paris in the first half of the last century.
You may also want to watch:
The American composer Aaron Copland was also drawn to Paris as a student in the 1920s, an experience that mingled with the influence of American jazz to produce works of great energy, the most famous of which is the music for his ballet Appalachian Spring which the orchestra will perform.
The final piece in the programme will be Schubert's youthfully-passionate Fourth Symphony, the Tragic.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets are £12 with concessions £9 and accompanied schoolchildren £3. They will be available on the door or in advance from St Albans Tourist Information Centre on 01727 864511.