Roy is key for orchestra
RENOWNED pianist Roy Howat will join the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra for a concert in St Albans next weekend. The orchestra will be playing a programme of Ravel, Copland and Schubert in the concert at 7.30pm next Saturday, January 26, at St Peter s Church.
RENOWNED pianist Roy Howat will join the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra for a concert in St Albans next weekend.
The orchestra will be playing a programme of Ravel, Copland and Schubert in the concert at 7.30pm next Saturday, January 26, at St Peter's Church.
Roy is recognised as one of the finest interpreters of 20th-century French piano music, having been taught by Vlado Perlemuter who was himself taught by Ravel.
In the concert, Roy will be performing Ravel's Piano Concerto in G major, one of the composer's most tuneful masterpieces which reflects the colour and excitement of Paris in the first half of the last century.
The American composer Aaron Copland was also drawn to Paris as a student in the 1920s, an experience that mingled with the influence of American jazz to produce works of great energy, the most famous of which is the music for his ballet Appalachian Spring which the orchestra will perform.
The final piece in the programme will be Schubert's youthfully-passionate Fourth Symphony, the Tragic.
- 1 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 2 In pictures: Harpenden Christmas Carnival makes long-awaited return
- 3 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Sing out for Christmas with Clarence Park carol service
- 8 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 9 Museum lit in orange to highlight gender-based violence
- 10 Saints happy to escape Kent with a point after poor showing at Tonbridge
The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets are £12 with concessions £9 and accompanied schoolchildren £3. They will be available on the door or in advance from St Albans Tourist Information Centre on 01727 864511.