Rose mapping out an art career
ART student Rose Stuart Smith s work has put her well and truly on the map. Rose, aged 21, from Serge Hill Lane, Bedmond, came out on top against more than 100 other art students in a competition to support talented newcomers. Rose, a former pupil of St A
ART student Rose Stuart Smith's work has put her well and truly on the map.
Rose, aged 21, from Serge Hill Lane, Bedmond, came out on top against more than 100 other art students in a competition to support talented newcomers.
Rose, a former pupil of St Albans High School for Girls, is studying Fine Art at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design.
Her entry was based on the achievement of Phyllis Pearlsall who created London's first A to Z of streets by walking them all until she had mapped them. Rose acknowledged Phyllis' achievement in a series of abstract paintings featuring places on the map, netting the young artist a �500 prize.
You may also want to watch:
Rose said: "As maps become available on mobile phones and sat-nav, the A-Z may soon fall out of use and Phyllis' story will be lost, so I was excited to be given this opportunity to make work that commemorates her. She was, like me, a painter so it seemed fitting that the work should also be a painting."
The competition which Rose won was organised by UNITE which provides student accommodation. It was launched to mark the opening of seven new properties in London and UNITE challenged students at the college to create commemorative artworks of inspirational Londoners using any medium.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
Rose's work is now on show as part of an exhibition at Blithehale Court in London. Students can browse, organise a viewing and book UNITE rooms by visiting www.unite-students.com or calling 0845 602 9976.