Rich pickings at St Saviour's Church, St Albans
LUSH 19th-century choral work, Stainer s Crucifixion, is being performed by the church choir at St Saviour s in Sandpit Lane, St Albans, at 6pm next Sunday, April 5. The work includes rich choruses and lyrical solos for the Narrator (Philip Salmon), Jesus
LUSH 19th-century choral work, Stainer's Crucifixion, is being performed by the church choir at St Saviour's in Sandpit Lane, St Albans, at 6pm next Sunday, April 5.
The work includes rich choruses and lyrical solos for the Narrator (Philip Salmon), Jesus (Michael Chambers) and the key figures in the Passion of Christ. It is interspersed with five hymns to include the congregation in the performance.
Stainer composed the work in 1887 and the libretto was written by W.J. Sparrow Simpson.
Both Philip Salmon, who has sung roles with all the major British opera companies, and Michael Chambers, who has sung with the original Cambridge Singers and locally with the Brocket Consort, live in St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
The choir will be joined by a number of additional singers and conducted by Dr Tony Wigram, accompanied on the organ by Alex Hall.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets