Redbourn Players' ghostly tribute to Private Godfrey
A GHOSTLY train will be making its way through Redbourn next week – and it does not mean the reopening of the Nicky Line. Redbourn Players are putting on The Ghost Train by Arnold Ridley in the Village Hall from Thursday, December 3, until Saturday, Decem
A GHOSTLY train will be making its way through Redbourn next week - and it does not mean the reopening of the Nicky Line.
Redbourn Players are putting on The Ghost Train by Arnold Ridley in the Village Hall from Thursday, December 3, until Saturday, December 5.
Ridley is best remembered for his role as Private Godfrey in Dad's Army but he had a long career as both an actor and a writer of over 30 plays.
The Ghost Train was first performed in Bristol in 1925 and ran for 665 performances in London's West End. Despite its age, it is still one of the most popular plays for amateur dramatic companies.
Director June Farmer described the high-spirited tale of passengers stranded at a haunted railway station as deftly mixing drama and comedy. She added: "Arnold Ridley was a very experienced man of the theatre and knew how to construct a well-made play that is deservedly performed many times."
Performances are at 8pm each evening and tickets at �7 with concessions �5 are available from Ashtons Estate Agents in Redbourn High Street or by calling 01582 792783.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time