Punks, poets and Scooby snacks at the Alban Arena
THE two-week summer shutdown of the Alban Arena looms next week but within a fortnight of it reopening there will be five film showings, six shows and an exhibition.
The summer closure is to enable the building to be spruced up and given a lick of paint while, this year, the circle bar will be completely refurbished.
But there will be plenty of attractions in September to bring back the crowds including the multi-platinum funk soul brothers Fun Lovin’ Criminals on September 8 supported by Bristol band The Chemists.
The five-piece band began life in a pub and have supported Feeder, The Music, The Delays, Broken Records, The Bluetones and most recently, Skunk Anansie.
The following day punk poet and bard of Salford, John Cooper Clarke, will be joined by local group Polly Poison and Her Electric Antidote. A female-fronted rock outfit from St Albans, they have reached the BBC Introducing Three Counties final and the Surface Unsigned semi final.
A recent addition to the September line-up is Darius Campbell who has been confirmed in The History of the Big Bands on Saturday, September 11.
Fast becoming a household name having gone from Pop Idol to winning Popstar to Operastar earlier this year and having starred in some of the biggest West End shows, he is now taking on his own Big Band show complete with a 16 piece orchestra.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
Following in the footsteps of the great crooners such as Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin and Andy Williams, Darius will revisit some of swing’s best songs.
Although telephone booking will be unavailable during the shutdown period, it will still be possible to book online at www.alban-arena.co.uk. The box office will reopen on Monday, August 23.