Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi at the Maltings, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
BBC young pianist Julian Trevelyan is joining Irrational Theatre to tackle Puccini’s comic masterpiece Gianni Schicchi next Thursday and Friday, September 25 and 26.
The one-act opera is the final work in Puccini’s contrasting triple bill of operas Il Trittico and includes the aria O Mio Babbino Caro, the theme from the film Room with a View.
It tells of a death, a will and a scheming family in which greed and avarice claw through the thin veneer of family loyalties.
Performances will be staged and sung in English at 8pm each night at the Maltings Arts Theatre.
Paula Chitty who runs Irrational Theatre said: “Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi is the most fantastic one act opera. It has a sublime, if very tricky score and a large cast of great characters.
You may also want to watch:
“I am absolutely delighted that Julian (Trevelyan) who lives in St Albans has agreed to rise to the challenge. He is only 15 years old and is an incredible talent.” Tickets at £12.50 are available from 0333 666 3366 or www.maltingsartstheatre.co.uk
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant