Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi at the Maltings, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
BBC young pianist Julian Trevelyan is joining Irrational Theatre to tackle Puccini’s comic masterpiece Gianni Schicchi next Thursday and Friday, September 25 and 26.
The one-act opera is the final work in Puccini’s contrasting triple bill of operas Il Trittico and includes the aria O Mio Babbino Caro, the theme from the film Room with a View.
It tells of a death, a will and a scheming family in which greed and avarice claw through the thin veneer of family loyalties.
Performances will be staged and sung in English at 8pm each night at the Maltings Arts Theatre.
Paula Chitty who runs Irrational Theatre said: “Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi is the most fantastic one act opera. It has a sublime, if very tricky score and a large cast of great characters.
You may also want to watch:
“I am absolutely delighted that Julian (Trevelyan) who lives in St Albans has agreed to rise to the challenge. He is only 15 years old and is an incredible talent.” Tickets at £12.50 are available from 0333 666 3366 or www.maltingsartstheatre.co.uk
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land