Play proves to be inspiring for first-time voter
- Credit: Archant
Young St Albans actress Alessia Procaccini has been inspired to vote in her first general election after winning a role in David Edgar’s acclaimed political play If Only which opens at the Abbey Theatre Studio this week.
Alessia, 22, plays Hannah, an idealistic A-level student who runs into three politicians – one Conservative, one Labour and one Lib Dem – at Malaga Airport in April 2010, just ahead of the last general election.
Stranded by the Icelandic ash cloud, the odd quartet embarks on a journey across Europe in an effort to get home, discussing politics and personal secrets along the way.
Despite the character’s apparent naivety, Hannah is a pivotal role who is also the catalyst for what happens in the second half of the play set in 2014.
Like her character, Alessia – who is currently doing a drama course in London and hopes to take up acting professionally – has found the play to be a transformative experience.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I think I’m similar to Hannah in that I’m young and inquisitive, but until I got this part politics was never really an interest of mine. But being in this play has made me think, hang on, I’m going to get on the internet and look this up! I want to know more about it.
The Company of Ten performances take place in the Abbey Theatre Studio from at 9pm tomorrow and Saturday, at 2.30pm on Sunday and at 8pm from next Tuesday, March 24, until Saturday, March 28.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
Friday 20 to Saturday 21 March at 8pm,
To book tickets go to www.abbeytheatre.org.uk or call the box office on 01727 857861.