Play proves to be inspiring for first-time voter
- Credit: Archant
Young St Albans actress Alessia Procaccini has been inspired to vote in her first general election after winning a role in David Edgar’s acclaimed political play If Only which opens at the Abbey Theatre Studio this week.
Alessia, 22, plays Hannah, an idealistic A-level student who runs into three politicians – one Conservative, one Labour and one Lib Dem – at Malaga Airport in April 2010, just ahead of the last general election.
Stranded by the Icelandic ash cloud, the odd quartet embarks on a journey across Europe in an effort to get home, discussing politics and personal secrets along the way.
Despite the character’s apparent naivety, Hannah is a pivotal role who is also the catalyst for what happens in the second half of the play set in 2014.
Like her character, Alessia – who is currently doing a drama course in London and hopes to take up acting professionally – has found the play to be a transformative experience.
She said: “I think I’m similar to Hannah in that I’m young and inquisitive, but until I got this part politics was never really an interest of mine. But being in this play has made me think, hang on, I’m going to get on the internet and look this up! I want to know more about it.
The Company of Ten performances take place in the Abbey Theatre Studio from at 9pm tomorrow and Saturday, at 2.30pm on Sunday and at 8pm from next Tuesday, March 24, until Saturday, March 28.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
Friday 20 to Saturday 21 March at 8pm,
To book tickets go to www.abbeytheatre.org.uk or call the box office on 01727 857861.