Pink Singers at Harpenden’s St George’s School
INTERNATIONALLY-acclaimed choir, Pink Singers, travel to Harpenden from their London base next Friday, May 3, to join St George’s School senior and chamber choirs for an evening of music.
Continuing their work to combat homophobic bullying, the 1,325-strong Harpenden school will perform a variety of classical and modern pieces with the Pink Singers as the London choir complete their final preparations for a June appearance in Lisbon.
Formed in 1983 for the Gay Pride March, the community of 80 will add Lisbon to their international and television appearances following their recent performance in Athens.
Assistant conductor Alice Humphrey, who has taught music at the school since last September is thrilled that St George’s students have the chance to sing with the choir she trains each week with English National Opera-based musical director Murray Hipkin.
She said: “‘The Pinkies’ as we are affectionately known are of an incredible high standard and they will be so impressed with my St George’s students who have mastered a whole range of chamber and popular music. It is so good that the school’s work against homophobic bullying amongst younger students is being extended to this fund-raising concert for our important charity – Diversity Role Models.”
You may also want to watch:
Headmaster Norman Hoare commented: “Any chance for our super choirs to sing with professional groups is something we promote and to work with this choir is a real privilege. It will be a stunning concert and at the same time reflects this schools pledge to work against unfairness in society and homophobic bullying which we have been praised for on the national stage – including the Department for Education and Stonewall.
“Alice is one of the exceptional conductors and performers on our music staff and we are delighted to host her group.”
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Tickets are available for �3 from the School www.stgeorges.herts.sch.uk and by calling 01582 765477. The concert in the Assembly Hall, Sun Lane entrance, starts at 7.30pm.