Percussionists O Duo at Markyate school
- Credit: Archant
Percussionists O Duo performed to a sell-out audience last Friday as part of a series of concerts at Beechwood Park School in Markyate.
The percussion duo featuring leading percussionists Owen Gunnell and Oliver Cox, played a varied programme ranging from Bach to Glass and Chopin to Stomp.
Oliver and Owen, both scholars at the Royal College of Music, formed O Duo in 2000. Twice winning Best Music Act of the Fringe at the Edinburgh Festival, highlights of their performances to date include appearing twice at the BBC Proms, as well as in Hyde Park on the Last Night of the Proms and recitals at the Wigmore Hall, Cheltenham and City of London Festivals.
Orchestral performances include concerto appearances with the BBC Philharmonic, BBC Symphony Orchestra, the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, London Philharmonic and Philharmonia Orchestras. They have worked at Abbey Road and Sony studios on television and film scores and broadcast on Channel 4 and BBC Television.
The duo take a keen interest in education work and Year 6 pupils were invited to join in with a percussion workshop before the concert.
You may also want to watch:
Beechwood Park headmaster, Patrick Atkinson, commented “To see such young and hugely talented musicians perform at Beechwood Park has been inspirational for our pupils.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 9 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash