Percussionists O Duo at Markyate school
- Credit: Archant
Percussionists O Duo performed to a sell-out audience last Friday as part of a series of concerts at Beechwood Park School in Markyate.
The percussion duo featuring leading percussionists Owen Gunnell and Oliver Cox, played a varied programme ranging from Bach to Glass and Chopin to Stomp.
Oliver and Owen, both scholars at the Royal College of Music, formed O Duo in 2000. Twice winning Best Music Act of the Fringe at the Edinburgh Festival, highlights of their performances to date include appearing twice at the BBC Proms, as well as in Hyde Park on the Last Night of the Proms and recitals at the Wigmore Hall, Cheltenham and City of London Festivals.
Orchestral performances include concerto appearances with the BBC Philharmonic, BBC Symphony Orchestra, the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, London Philharmonic and Philharmonia Orchestras. They have worked at Abbey Road and Sony studios on television and film scores and broadcast on Channel 4 and BBC Television.
The duo take a keen interest in education work and Year 6 pupils were invited to join in with a percussion workshop before the concert.
You may also want to watch:
Beechwood Park headmaster, Patrick Atkinson, commented “To see such young and hugely talented musicians perform at Beechwood Park has been inspirational for our pupils.”
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'