Paul Goussot to close St Albans International Organ Festival series
- Credit: Archant
THE closing concert in an organ series is being held next Saturday, May 4, in St Albans Cathedral.
It marks the return to the city of Paul Goussot, the winner of the 2011 Improvisation Competition at St Albans and subsequently the improvisation competition in Haarlem.
Paul was born in Bordeaux where he is now titulaire of the prestigious organ in the Abbey of St Croix. He graduated from the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique de Paris where he gained numerous first prizes in both harpsichord and organ.
He has given concerts in Europe and the US including being First Young Artist in residence in Louisiana.
The concert brings together the Caius Consort from Cambridge, directed by Geoffrey Webber, and piper Barnaby Brown, who leads the revival of the northern triplepipe, the precursor of the bagpipe in Britain and Ireland.
You may also want to watch:
As a result, Celtic chant from the fourteenth century and Duruflé’s Quatre Motets will be interleaved with Scottish psalm singing traditions.
Entrance to the concert, which starts at 5.30pm, is free with a retiring collection in aid of the International Organ Festival Society. After the concert the audience will have the opportunity to meet the performers at a reception in the cathedral refectory.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
n The 50th Anniversary of the St Albans International Organ Festival is being held from July 11 to 20 this year and online booking can be found at www.organfestival.com