Pantaloons staging whole of Canterbury Tales at Shenley Park
OPEN-air theatre comes to Shenley Park next Thursday, June 30, when The Pantaloons are performing their new complete version of Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales.
In what may well be a theatrical first, The Pantaloons are performing every single one of the 23 completed Canterbury Tales – with a cast of just six actors playing 70 parts.
Every story will be told in a different theatrical style ranging from pantomime, puppetry and masks, to musicals, mime, fare, reality television, horror and opera. Even Shakespeare gets a look in.
The Pantaloons are taking a break from the Bard this year to breathe new life into the Canterbury Tales which follows a group of pilgrims who decide to hold a story-telling contest on the road from Southwark to the shrine of St Thomas a Becket in Canterbury. They include a Knight, a Miller, a Monk, a Prioress, a Shipman and the notorious Wife of Bath.
For those unfamiliar with Middle English, the show has been translated into modern language. Co-producer and co-author, Caitlin Storey, said: “It’s all about being faithful to the original text whilst making it relevant to a modern audience. It’s a tricky line to walk but as we were translating we realised that the key things were to keep it accessible and keep it funny.”
You may also want to watch:
Like Chaucer’s original, the show promises plenty of bawdy fun but is family friendly and suitable for all ages.
The performance begins at 7pm and tickets are �12/�9 in advance and �14/�11 on the door.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly