Organist Jane Parker-Smith at St Albans Abbey
ONE of the world’s leading concert organists, Jane Parker-Smith, will be giving the next concert in a current series.
She is appearing at 5.30pm next Saturday, February 18, in St Albans Abbey for the International Organ Festival Society’s 2011-2012 Concert series.
Acclaimed by critics and public alike for her musicianship, virtuosity and interpretative ability, her studies at the Royal College of Music in London were crowned with a number of prizes and scholarships.
A French government scholarship enabled her to complete her studies in Paris with the legendary blind organist Jean Langlais, perfecting the knowledge and understanding of 20th-Century French organ music for which she is today internationally renowned.
Jane made her London debut at Westminster Cathedral at the age of 20 and two years later performed her first solo appearance at the BBC Promenade Concerts in the Royal Albert Hall. She has since performed in concert halls, cathedrals and churches throughout the world as well as recording a wide range of solo repertoire, on many labels, and performing numerous times on radio and television.
You may also want to watch:
She has worked with conductors of the stature of Sir Simon Rattle, Carl Davis, Vernon Handley, and Richard Hickox.
Entrance to the concert is free with a retiring collection in aid of the International Organ Festival Society. Full details of all concerts in the current series can be found at organfestival.com
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge