Organ recital at St Saviour’s Church, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
MATTHEW Martin, organist of the London Oratory, will be giving the next recital in a current series.
It will be held at 5.30pm next Saturday, March 23, at St Saviour’s Church in St Albans as part of the International Organ Festival Society’s 2012-2013 concert series.
Matthew followed an organ scholarship at Magdalen College, Oxford, with postgraduate work at the Royal Academy of Music, London, where he won major performance prizes.
From 2001-2004 he continued his studies with the late Marie-Claire Alain in Paris. He has held organist positions at New College, Oxford, Canterbury Cathedral and Westminster Cathedral.
As a recitalist, he has given concerts both in the UK, including at the Cheltenham, Spitalfields and South Bank festivals, and as far afield as Japan and Australia.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew’s career as a composer is rapidly gaining him an international reputation and he is frequently commissioned to write music for leading choirs, ensembles and festivals.
The programme he has chosen for the recital includes music by J S Bach, Byrd, Buxtehude, de Grigny and Bruhns.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
Entrance to the recital is free with a retiring collection in aid of the International Organ Festival Society.
Full details of all the concerts in the 2012-2013 series can be found at www.organfestival.com