Organ master Andrew's St Albans concert
MASTER of the Music at St Albans Abbey, Andrew Lucas, is giving the next concert in the International Organ Festival series next Saturday, January 23. Born in 1958, Andrew studied organ at the Royal College of Music with John Birch and Herbert Howells ini
MASTER of the Music at St Albans Abbey, Andrew Lucas, is giving the next concert in the International Organ Festival series next Saturday, January 23.
Born in 1958, Andrew studied organ at the Royal College of Music with John Birch and Herbert Howells initially and later with Peter Hurford and Piet Kee in Amsterdam. Prior to coming to St Albans, Andrew was a sub-organist and assistant Director of Music at St Paul's Cathedral in London.
He has played concerts throughout the UK, Europe, Australia and the USA and has made numerous solo recordings as well as with the choirs of St Paul's Cathedral and St Albans Abbey.
Andrew was artistic adviser for the recently-completed rebuild on the Abbey Organ and the programme he has chosen for the concert will include works by Bruhns, Buxtehude, Karg-Elert, Peter Hurford, Grainger and the Carillon de Westminster by Louis Vierne.
You may also want to watch:
He was also artistic director of the International Organ Festival from 1999 to 2007.
Entrance to the concert, which starts at 5.30pm, is free with a retiring collection in aid of the International Organ Festival Society (IOFS). After the concert, the audience will have the opportunity to meet the soloist.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 8 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Havin a fantastic lunch at new Turkish restaurant
Full details of all the IOFS concerts in the series can be found at organfestival.com