Opera company calls on St Albans schoolboy for Arena show
- Credit: Archant
Young Louis Chew has a chance to fly high when he appears in tragic opera Madam Butterfly at the Alban Arena next Saturday, February 20.
The Maple JMI pupil is appearing in the Russian State Opera performance of the Puccini opera which gets underway at 7.30pm.
The seven-year-old St Albans schoolboy, who is taking the part of Madam Butterfly’s son in the opera, has belonged to Stagecoach Theatre Arts School for more than three years and is particularly keen on singing and drama.
He has taken part in many productions at school, often in the leading role.
Madam Butterfly will be sung in Italian with English subtitles and accompanied by a live orchestra with over 30 musicians.
Set in Japan at the turn of the century, it is among the most colourful and exotic of all operas.
It tells the story of a doomed love affair between an American naval officer and his young Japanese bride, whose self-sacrifice and defiance of her family leads to heartbreak and tragedy.
Tickets for Madam Butterfly are £31 with concessions £2 off, available from the Arena box office on 01727 844888 or online.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic