Oberon’s Birthday for St Albans Chamber Opera at Maltings Arts Theatre
A LIGHT-HEARTED double bill is being presented by St Albans Chamber Opera at The Maltings Arts Theatre next Thursday and Friday, October 24 and 25.
Although Purcell’s Fairy Queen sounds like serious stuff, director Peter Kestner has chosen to turn a selection of scenes into a 1920s birthday party for Oberon.
Guests arrive with gifts, they waltz and Charleston and drink lots of champagne. Oberon has his eye on the housemaid and at least one of the guests gets very drunk indeed!
Oberon’s Birthday is paired with Gilbert and Sullivan’s short comedy Trial By Jury which Paula Chitty has set in the 1950s when breach of promise was still a matter for the law. Edwin has a lot to answer for when Angelina sues him but everyone ends up dancing.
David Ireson directs the music and singers include Alexandra McPhee, Jenna Clemence, Rebecca Muhley, Warren Albers, Philip Lawford, Alan French and Des Turner.
You may also want to watch:
Performances start at 8pm and tickets at �12 will be available on the door or in advance from Phyl Swindlehurst on 01727 858307.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 5 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 6 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 7 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 8 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 9 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 10 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities