Oberon’s Birthday for St Albans Chamber Opera at Maltings Arts Theatre
A LIGHT-HEARTED double bill is being presented by St Albans Chamber Opera at The Maltings Arts Theatre next Thursday and Friday, October 24 and 25.
Although Purcell’s Fairy Queen sounds like serious stuff, director Peter Kestner has chosen to turn a selection of scenes into a 1920s birthday party for Oberon.
Guests arrive with gifts, they waltz and Charleston and drink lots of champagne. Oberon has his eye on the housemaid and at least one of the guests gets very drunk indeed!
Oberon’s Birthday is paired with Gilbert and Sullivan’s short comedy Trial By Jury which Paula Chitty has set in the 1950s when breach of promise was still a matter for the law. Edwin has a lot to answer for when Angelina sues him but everyone ends up dancing.
David Ireson directs the music and singers include Alexandra McPhee, Jenna Clemence, Rebecca Muhley, Warren Albers, Philip Lawford, Alan French and Des Turner.
You may also want to watch:
Performances start at 8pm and tickets at �12 will be available on the door or in advance from Phyl Swindlehurst on 01727 858307.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions