New Orleans trumpeter Abram Wilson at Herts Jazz Club
MULTI-award winning New Orleans trumpeter and vocalist Abram Wilson is playing at the Herts Jazz Club on Sunday evening.
One of the leading jazz trumpeters in the UK today with trumpet playing reminiscent of Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis and Wynton Marsalis and the vocals of Sammy Davis Jr. and Chet Baker, he has created a unique style of melodic compositions.
Since arriving in London in 2002 he has recorded three albums, resulting in a clutch of awards including the International Songwriting Competition for the jazz category, the BBC Jazz Award for Best New CD and the BBC Jazz Award for Best Band.
For the gig at 7.45pm at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City, he will be playing original music inspired by the life of the Harlem-born, mixed-race classical piano prodigy, Philippa Schuyler.
With his quartet of musicians, he will explore new compositional ground with music ranging from the roughest blues to melodic swing.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are �11 online at http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, �13 on the door and �5 for students and under 21s.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images