New Orleans trumpeter Abram Wilson at Herts Jazz Club
MULTI-award winning New Orleans trumpeter and vocalist Abram Wilson is playing at the Herts Jazz Club on Sunday evening.
One of the leading jazz trumpeters in the UK today with trumpet playing reminiscent of Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis and Wynton Marsalis and the vocals of Sammy Davis Jr. and Chet Baker, he has created a unique style of melodic compositions.
Since arriving in London in 2002 he has recorded three albums, resulting in a clutch of awards including the International Songwriting Competition for the jazz category, the BBC Jazz Award for Best New CD and the BBC Jazz Award for Best Band.
For the gig at 7.45pm at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City, he will be playing original music inspired by the life of the Harlem-born, mixed-race classical piano prodigy, Philippa Schuyler.
With his quartet of musicians, he will explore new compositional ground with music ranging from the roughest blues to melodic swing.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are �11 online at http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, �13 on the door and �5 for students and under 21s.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 5 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land