New Orleans trumpeter Abram Wilson at Herts Jazz Club
MULTI-award winning New Orleans trumpeter and vocalist Abram Wilson is playing at the Herts Jazz Club on Sunday evening.
One of the leading jazz trumpeters in the UK today with trumpet playing reminiscent of Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis and Wynton Marsalis and the vocals of Sammy Davis Jr. and Chet Baker, he has created a unique style of melodic compositions.
Since arriving in London in 2002 he has recorded three albums, resulting in a clutch of awards including the International Songwriting Competition for the jazz category, the BBC Jazz Award for Best New CD and the BBC Jazz Award for Best Band.
For the gig at 7.45pm at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City, he will be playing original music inspired by the life of the Harlem-born, mixed-race classical piano prodigy, Philippa Schuyler.
With his quartet of musicians, he will explore new compositional ground with music ranging from the roughest blues to melodic swing.
Tickets are �11 online at http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, �13 on the door and �5 for students and under 21s.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead