New look for Maltings Arts Theatre, St Albans
A BOLD new design completed by volunteers has completely transformed the entrance to the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans.
The theatre is currently being managed by OVO theatre company in partnership with St Albans district council and the foyer refurbishment was carried out by a team led by David Berryman.
He explained: “Whilst everyone agrees that the theatre’s technical facilities are superb, there was a general feeling that we could improve the foyer area and bar layout to create a light-filled, spacious and inviting entrance to the theatre.”
On an extremely tight budget and making the most of the volunteers’ goodwill, an American diner theme has totally changed the theatre’s foyer. The refurbishment included removing an old ticket unit, new flooring, mirrors, lighting, installing a bar and a lot of painting.
The new design has already made an impact with some very positive feedback. Imogen de la Bere, programming director for OVO @ The Maltings said: “We hope that the new foyer reflects the welcoming, friendly atmosphere at the theatre and adds to the feeling of a venue that is ‘alive’. It’s great to see so many audience members stay around for an after-show drink and chat to the performers!”
You may also want to watch:
Next up at the theatre are two professional productions – Frozen, an award-winning play by Bryony Lavery, presented by Peppermint Muse from Thursday, February 23, to Saturday, February 25, and Tour de Force’s adaptation of The Great Gatsby on Sunday, February 26.
Details of the full Maltings Arts Theatre season with dates, times and ticket prices can be found at www.maltingsartstheatre.co.uk
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills