Musical I Love You Because at Abbey Theatre, St Albans
TWO decades after performer Bobbie Chatt started her career at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans, she is returning to present the professional Herts premiere of a hit off-Broadway musical.
Radlett-born Bobbie first trod the boards at the age of 15 in the St Albans Youth Music Theatre production of The Ragged Child, directed by Yvonne Harding. That ignited a passion for theatre that led to her touring the country playing both Eponine and Cosette in Les Miserables.
It was while on tour that she set up Brilliant Productions which presented the sell-out Showstoppers! and A Grand Night for Singing at the Alban Arena.
Bobbie never forgot her Abbey Theatre roots and was simply waiting for the right show to produce at what she regards as her home theatre.
The opportunity came when she secured the rights to I Love You Because, a little-known American musical which she considers to be an absolute gem.
You may also want to watch:
Based very loosely on Pride and Prejudice, I Love You Because tells the stories of two mismatched couples trying to make love work in New York.
Despite its roots, Bobbie believes the musical version definitely bears more resemblance to a hit TV series than Jane Austen. She explained: “The action is set in coffee shops, bars and apartments around New York.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
“During rehearsals we’ve all commented that if they were to write ‘Friends, The Musical’ this would be it. The jokes and songs come thick and fast but most importantly all the characters are likeable so when things go wrong you’re really rooting for them to make it through.”
Bobbie, who now works as a West End agent together with running Watford’s Moonglow Dance Studios, saw it initially on her first trip to Broadway eight years ago. She said: “And I thought it was fantastic back then. It was so funny, yet really moving and the music is wonderful.”
The six-strong cast also includes Matt Fowler who directs as well as performing, Stewart Jordan, Joanne Goddard, Kerry Lee and Pedro Gardiner, all of whom will be well-known to St Albans audiences having played leading roles in many of the recent local shows.
I Love You Because is at the Abbey Theatre, St Albans, at 8pm from next Thursday, October 27, until Saturday, October 29, with an additional Saturday show at 4pm.
Tickets at �12 are available from the box office on 01727 857861 or online at www.abbeytheatre.org.uk For more information visit www.brilliantproductions.com