Music the best medicine
A CHARITY concert at Rothamsted in Harpenden is just what the doctor ordered. St Albans GP and bass soloist Dr Julian Godlee will be joining his brother-in-law Herre Jan Stegenga, who is an international cello soloist, for the works of composers Schubert,
A CHARITY concert at Rothamsted in Harpenden is just what the doctor ordered.
St Albans GP and bass soloist Dr Julian Godlee will be joining his brother-in-law Herre Jan Stegenga, who is an international cello soloist, for the works of composers Schubert, Debussy and Finzi on Saturday week, January 12.
Dr Godlee, who works at the MalTings Surgery, is a member of the local a cappella vocal group, The Brocket Consort, and he will sing Finzi's song cycle Earth and Air and Rain as well as songs by Schubert.
Herre Jan, from Holland, studied with famous French cellist Paul Tortelier and he is now a professor at the Rotterdam Conservatory.
You may also want to watch:
The renowned musician travels extensively and he is also principal cellist in the Netherlands Chamber Orchestra of which his wife, Beverly Lunt, is deputy leader. She will be joining the pair on stage for the evening along with Nigel Yandell.
The event is in aid of Home Start St Albans which supports local families facing difficulties.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Shortages crisis hits district
It will take place in the Great Drawing Room and starts at 7.30 pm. Tickets, which include a glass of wine, cost £15 and are available from Jane Colston on 01438 829088 or on firstname.lastname@example.org