Music night inspired by George Bernard Shaw
THE eclectic tastes in music of playwright George Bernard Shaw will be illustrated at a musical evening at his home tomorrow night. Long before his talents as a playwright came to life, his literary career began as a music critic. His musical tastes range
THE eclectic tastes in music of playwright George Bernard Shaw will be illustrated at a musical evening at his home tomorrow night.
Long before his talents as a playwright came to life, his literary career began as a music critic. His musical tastes ranged from Mozart, Beethoven and Wagner to Noel Coward and Ivor Novello.
The concert at Shaw's Corner in Ayot St Lawrence, will feature David Steed singing works from the composer in the hall of the house accompanied on the piano.
Memories of Shaw's life and how the music interlinks with the plays he wrote will be shared during the summer soiree. Tickets are �8 for adults, �5 for children, available by calling 01438 829221.
You may also want to watch:
�� Two of Shaw's plays, Saint Joan and Arms and the Man, are being performed at Shaw's Corner this summer.
Saint Joan, the dramatic story of a country girl, miracles and the cruel politics of war, is being performed at 6.30pm from next Friday, June 26 to Sunday, June 28.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 4 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 5 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 6 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 10 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
Written in 1923, it is considered to be one of Shaw's most unusual and enduringly popular plays and Joan is regarded as one of his finest creations.
Both Saint Joan and Arms and the Man, which is being performed in late July, are being staged by the Michael Friend Theatre Company. Tickets have to be booked in advance and further details can be obtained by calling 0844 2491895.