Mozart’s Mass in C Minor at St Albans Abbey
- Credit: Archant
A WORK by Mozart which is more ambitious and elaborate even than his Requiem is being performed by the Hertfordshire Chorus in St Albans Abbey next Saturday, February 9.
The choir will be performing the Mass in C Minor – the Great Mass – which, while it was never completed, is considered by many scholars to be one of the greatest mass settings of all time.
Mendelssohn’s rousing choral spectacle Die Erste Walpurgisnacht will also be performed in the concert which starts at 7.30pm.
It was hailed by Berlioz as a masterpiece of romanticism. and tells the story of witches and elves dancing in the Harz mountains on the eve of May Day.
The soloists will be Sophie Bevan, soprano, Emilie Renard, mezzo soprano, Andrew Staples, tenor, and Derek Welton, bass, The choir, conducted by David Temple, will be joined by the London Orchestra da Camera.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets from £5 to £25 are available through the website www.hertfordshirechorus.org.uk or from the Ticketline on 0870 458 0445.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 3 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust