Mozart’s Mass in C Minor at St Albans Abbey
- Credit: Archant
A WORK by Mozart which is more ambitious and elaborate even than his Requiem is being performed by the Hertfordshire Chorus in St Albans Abbey next Saturday, February 9.
The choir will be performing the Mass in C Minor – the Great Mass – which, while it was never completed, is considered by many scholars to be one of the greatest mass settings of all time.
Mendelssohn’s rousing choral spectacle Die Erste Walpurgisnacht will also be performed in the concert which starts at 7.30pm.
It was hailed by Berlioz as a masterpiece of romanticism. and tells the story of witches and elves dancing in the Harz mountains on the eve of May Day.
The soloists will be Sophie Bevan, soprano, Emilie Renard, mezzo soprano, Andrew Staples, tenor, and Derek Welton, bass, The choir, conducted by David Temple, will be joined by the London Orchestra da Camera.
Tickets from £5 to £25 are available through the website www.hertfordshirechorus.org.uk or from the Ticketline on 0870 458 0445.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 10 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped