Mozart’s Mass in C Minor at St Albans Abbey
- Credit: Archant
A WORK by Mozart which is more ambitious and elaborate even than his Requiem is being performed by the Hertfordshire Chorus in St Albans Abbey next Saturday, February 9.
The choir will be performing the Mass in C Minor – the Great Mass – which, while it was never completed, is considered by many scholars to be one of the greatest mass settings of all time.
Mendelssohn’s rousing choral spectacle Die Erste Walpurgisnacht will also be performed in the concert which starts at 7.30pm.
It was hailed by Berlioz as a masterpiece of romanticism. and tells the story of witches and elves dancing in the Harz mountains on the eve of May Day.
The soloists will be Sophie Bevan, soprano, Emilie Renard, mezzo soprano, Andrew Staples, tenor, and Derek Welton, bass, The choir, conducted by David Temple, will be joined by the London Orchestra da Camera.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets from £5 to £25 are available through the website www.hertfordshirechorus.org.uk or from the Ticketline on 0870 458 0445.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 7 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 10 Shortages crisis hits district