Miami’s nice for St Albans Abbey girls choir
A SPECIAL “thank you” concert has been sung by the St Albans Abbey Girls Choir to thank their American hosts who came to their rescue when the volcanic ash cloud ascended.
In April the choir was was due to return home from a 10-day tour of the US when their flights were cancelled because of the Icelandic ash cloud.
The girls, aged between nine and 14, found themselves in Miami for an extra six days as guests of members of the congregations of their host churches, the St Thomas Episcopal Church and School and the Roman Catholic Church of the Epiphany in Coral Gables, Miami.
Their delayed return was reported on the BBC and in newspapers both in the UK and America.
They were extremely well looked after and decided to organise a thank you concert to raise money for their American host churches.
You may also want to watch:
Cleo Newton, one of the senior choristers, said: “The host families were so kind to us when we found we could not get home. They looked after us so well and took us out on lots of trips and organised parties for us so we had a wonderful time. We really wanted to do the concert to say thanks to them.”
It was held earlier this month and attended by choir families and members of the Abbey congregation. As well as the choir singing, there were instrumental performances by a number of the girls and by a parent.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 3 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 6 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 9 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 10 'Witty, dramatic and rewarding' Skylight set for Abbey Theatre in St Albans
Linda Walton, one of the supervisors who accompanied the girls on tour, said: “Our Miami hosts were very hospitable and really generous. They looked after us so well. This evening is our chance to say thank you.”