Martin Speake Quartet at Herts Jazz Club
THE Martin Speake Quartet play Herts Jazz Club at 7.45pm this Sunday, June 3.
Martin leads a broad range of groups and continues to be influenced by many musicians and styles of music. Apart from these projects of his own, Martin has also performed with Paul Motian, Bobo Stenson, Loose Tubes, Stan Tracey, Django Bates, Airto Moreira and Flora Purim among others.
He is saxophone professor and contemporary music co-ordinator on the Royal Academy of Music Jazz Course and saxophone teacher at Middlesex University. He has also composed music for the Associated Board jazz piano syllabus and a solo saxophone piece for Faber Music.
His major influences include Lee Konitz, Charlie Parker, Warne Marsh, Bill Evans, Ornette Coleman, Steve Coleman, Rabih Abou Khalil, and Paul Motian.
Joining Martin will be Barry Green on piano, Dave Green, bass and Jeff Williams, drums.
Tickets for the gig at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City, are �11 online at http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, �13 on the door and �5 for students and under 21s.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival