Martin Speake Quartet at Herts Jazz Club
THE Martin Speake Quartet play Herts Jazz Club at 7.45pm this Sunday, June 3.
Martin leads a broad range of groups and continues to be influenced by many musicians and styles of music. Apart from these projects of his own, Martin has also performed with Paul Motian, Bobo Stenson, Loose Tubes, Stan Tracey, Django Bates, Airto Moreira and Flora Purim among others.
He is saxophone professor and contemporary music co-ordinator on the Royal Academy of Music Jazz Course and saxophone teacher at Middlesex University. He has also composed music for the Associated Board jazz piano syllabus and a solo saxophone piece for Faber Music.
His major influences include Lee Konitz, Charlie Parker, Warne Marsh, Bill Evans, Ornette Coleman, Steve Coleman, Rabih Abou Khalil, and Paul Motian.
Joining Martin will be Barry Green on piano, Dave Green, bass and Jeff Williams, drums.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for the gig at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City, are �11 online at http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, �13 on the door and �5 for students and under 21s.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 9 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 10 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents