“Marrrrleeeen!” Boycie’s in town
- Credit: Archant
Much-loved comedy actor John Challis, best known as Boycie in Only Fools and Horses, is appearing at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans next Saturday, November 22.
He will be lifting the lid on the secrets of his career including his exploits with national treasures like Sir David Jason and Nick Lyndhurst, who played Del Boy and Rodney.
He will also talk about other incidents from his 50-year showbusiness career, including the time he turned down The Beatles when they asked him to feature in A Magical Mystery Tour.
John said: “John, Paul and Ringo interviewed me. We got on and they asked me to appear in the movie - even though I’d told them that I preferred the Rolling Stones. But unfortunately I couldn’t do it. I was contracted to the BBC and they wouldn’t release me.”
John said he was proud of his work in Only Fools and Horses, in which he played Boycie who was married to Marlene. Together the couple went on to make a spin-off show, The Green Green Grass.
He said: “We became the longest-running married couple on TV and even now I still get recognised every day of my life. I have people calling out to me in the street, asking me ‘Where’s Marlene?’ or requesting autographs.”
Appearing at the Abbey Theatre is the last date in an autumn tour which has seen John travel up and down the country. He said: “I’m a big fan of St Albans, it’s a beautiful area, and we are looking forward to ending the tour on a high on November 22.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 9 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 10 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
“Hopefully plenty of Only Fools and Horses fans will come along to enjoy the show.”
Tickets are £15, available from www.abbeytheatre.org.uk or by calling 01727 857861.