“Marrrrleeeen!” Boycie’s in town
- Credit: Archant
Much-loved comedy actor John Challis, best known as Boycie in Only Fools and Horses, is appearing at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans next Saturday, November 22.
He will be lifting the lid on the secrets of his career including his exploits with national treasures like Sir David Jason and Nick Lyndhurst, who played Del Boy and Rodney.
He will also talk about other incidents from his 50-year showbusiness career, including the time he turned down The Beatles when they asked him to feature in A Magical Mystery Tour.
John said: “John, Paul and Ringo interviewed me. We got on and they asked me to appear in the movie - even though I’d told them that I preferred the Rolling Stones. But unfortunately I couldn’t do it. I was contracted to the BBC and they wouldn’t release me.”
John said he was proud of his work in Only Fools and Horses, in which he played Boycie who was married to Marlene. Together the couple went on to make a spin-off show, The Green Green Grass.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We became the longest-running married couple on TV and even now I still get recognised every day of my life. I have people calling out to me in the street, asking me ‘Where’s Marlene?’ or requesting autographs.”
Appearing at the Abbey Theatre is the last date in an autumn tour which has seen John travel up and down the country. He said: “I’m a big fan of St Albans, it’s a beautiful area, and we are looking forward to ending the tour on a high on November 22.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Charity founder cancels Channel swim after suffering long Covid
“Hopefully plenty of Only Fools and Horses fans will come along to enjoy the show.”
Tickets are £15, available from www.abbeytheatre.org.uk or by calling 01727 857861.