Markyate school goes Wild for jazz
A SCHOOL got into the swing when its hall became a jazz club for the day. Well over 100 musicians and jazz enthusiasts gathered at Beechwood Park School, Markyate, for a jazz workshop earlier this month. The day featured the Craig Wild Big Band and guest
A SCHOOL got into the swing when its hall became a jazz club for the day.
Well over 100 musicians and jazz enthusiasts gathered at Beechwood Park School, Markyate, for a jazz workshop earlier this month.
The day featured the Craig Wild Big Band and guest vocalist Louise Marshall, who sings with renowned artists including Jools Holland and Michael Ball.
The budding musicians in attendance, who were from many different schools and of various ages, were given some musical tips by the professionals before being spilt into groups according to their abilities.
Each group worked on individual sections of the Beatles track Hey Jude before all of the youngsters came together to perform in a grand finale at the end of day concert.
The concert also featured performances from the professional band, several of whom had been playing in the Strictly Come Dancing orchestra the night previous.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 4 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 7 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 10 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
They played favourites such as Fly Me to the Moon and Bridge Over Troubled Water.
Patrick Atkinson, headteacher of Beechwood Park School, said: "The workshop was very successful. We are privileged to have heard such a first class band and guest vocalist, and all the children who participated enjoyed it enormously and will find their own playing benefits from listening to these experts.