Markyate school goes Wild for jazz
A SCHOOL got into the swing when its hall became a jazz club for the day. Well over 100 musicians and jazz enthusiasts gathered at Beechwood Park School, Markyate, for a jazz workshop earlier this month. The day featured the Craig Wild Big Band and guest
A SCHOOL got into the swing when its hall became a jazz club for the day.
Well over 100 musicians and jazz enthusiasts gathered at Beechwood Park School, Markyate, for a jazz workshop earlier this month.
The day featured the Craig Wild Big Band and guest vocalist Louise Marshall, who sings with renowned artists including Jools Holland and Michael Ball.
The budding musicians in attendance, who were from many different schools and of various ages, were given some musical tips by the professionals before being spilt into groups according to their abilities.
You may also want to watch:
Each group worked on individual sections of the Beatles track Hey Jude before all of the youngsters came together to perform in a grand finale at the end of day concert.
The concert also featured performances from the professional band, several of whom had been playing in the Strictly Come Dancing orchestra the night previous.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 3 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 10 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
They played favourites such as Fly Me to the Moon and Bridge Over Troubled Water.
Patrick Atkinson, headteacher of Beechwood Park School, said: "The workshop was very successful. We are privileged to have heard such a first class band and guest vocalist, and all the children who participated enjoyed it enormously and will find their own playing benefits from listening to these experts.