Louis opens St Albans International Organ Festival series
LOUIS Robilliard will be giving the first concert in the International Organ Festival Society’s Series for 2010/2011 in St Albans Abbey next Saturday, September 11.
Titular organist of the historic Cavaille-Coll organ in the church of St Francois de Sales, Lyon, he gives concerts worldwide as both organ soloist and teacher.
His numerous recordings have been unanimously praised by critics and he has recently been awarded the Diapason d’Or for his interpretation of the works of Charles-Marie Widor.
His interest in both organ building and the conservation of historic instruments resulted in his appointment from 1976-86 to the French National Committee for the Protection of Historic Monuments.
During that period he classified over 50 instruments and was responsible for several large restorations of organs in the region of the Rhone-Alpes.
At the heart of his repertoire as an interpreter, transcriber and improviser, Louis has a particular interest in the music of the 19th and 20th centuries. The programme he has chosen for the concert includes music by Bach, Brahms, Widor and Liszt, transcribed by himself.
Admission to the concert, which begins at 5.30pm, is free with a retiring collection in aid of the International Organ Festival Society. The audience will have an opportunity to meet the soloist once it is finished.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
Full details of all the concerts in the series can be found at www.organfestival.com