Liberace and Despicable Me movies at Alban Arena
- Credit: Archant
BEFORE Elvis, Elton John, Madonna and Lady Gaga, the name synonymous with showmanship and extravagance was flamboyant pianist and entertainer Liberace.
He was a world-renowned performer with a flair that endeared him to his audiences and created a loyal fan base spanning his 40-year career.
The film about Liberace, entitled Behind The Candelabra, screens at The Alban Arena at 7.30pm tomorrow night (Friday).
Liberace (Michael Douglas) lived lavishly and embraced a lifestyle of excess both on and off stage. In summer 1977, handsome young stranger Scott Thorson (Matt Damon) walked into his dressing room and, despite their age difference and seemingly different worlds, the two embarked on a secretive five-year love affair.
Behind The Candelabra takes a behind-the-scenes look at their tempestuous relationship – from their first meeting backstage at the Las Vegas Hilton to their bitter and public break-up.
Tickets are £7 or £5 for concessions available from the Arena box office on 01727 844488 or online at www.alban-arena.co.uk.
Animated sequel, Despicable Me 2, screens at The Alban Arena this Saturday morning.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 4 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 5 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 8 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 9 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 10 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
While Gru, the ex-supervillain, is adjusting to family life and an attempted honest living in the jam business, a secret Arctic laboratory is stolen. The Anti-Villain League decides it needs an insider’s help and recruits Gru in the investigation.
Dr Nefario and the minions return along with a whole host of new characters in the film which starts at 11am. Tickets are £5.