Leroy Jones preview: tickets for tonight’s show available
- Credit: Archant
For all the hype that has surrounded Leroy Jones’s return to the UK, he is surprisingly humble.
He took to the stage at the Pizza Express Jazz Club in Soho on Sunday and thanked the audience for the variety of London’s restaurants.
“I love all kind of food,” he said, “Vietnamese food, Mexican food, and English food – I love me some fish and chips.”
The audience laughed when Jones, noticing the waiters and waitresses, said: “Oh and pizza too, of course.”
His shy, New Orleans drawl won over the audience instantly and from then on we were putty in his hands.
You may also want to watch:
The Leroy Jones Quintet – an Anglo-American mixture of guitar, trombone, drums and double-bass – flew through a medley of carefully chosen jazz classics interspersed with recollections of Jones’s time in England.
As a singer, Jones has the archetypal New Orleans jazz voice which perfectly complements the band, but as a trumpeter, he steals the show.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 9 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 10 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
The band’s rendition of Pennies from Heaven was a joy to behold and made you ask yourself why you don’t go and see live jazz more often.
He’s playing at the Alban Arena tonight – and I highly recommend you go and see him.
There are a few tickets available; to buy, click here or call 01727 844488.