Latin American theme for St Albans Chamber Choir concert
- Credit: Archant
With the world’s eyes turned to Brazil for the World Cup, St Albans Chamber Choir is planning to transport its audience to South America at its concert next Saturday, July 5.
Music with a Latin American flavour is being performed from 7.30pm at St Peter’s Church, St Albans,
The concert, Go Brazilian! will feature a choral version of Bachianas Brasileiras No. 9 by Villa-Lobos, who is probably Brazil’s best-known composer, and works by other 20th Century South American composers, including Mata del ánima sola by Antonio Estévez which depicts the solitude and mystery of the high plains of Venezuela.
The choir will be joined by local saxophonist, David Wigram and pianist Susie Arbeid, to perform a selection of Astor Piazzola’s Tangos for saxophone and piano which fuse traditional Argentinian tango with elements of both jazz and classical music.
Also on the programme are Jean Berger’s Brazilian Psalm written after a wartime stay in Rio de Janeiro, a choral version of Jobim’s Brazilian bossa nova song The Girl from Ipanema which was a worldwide hit in the mid-1960s, and Guy Turner’s Tequila Samba. And since Brazil is as much defined by the beach as by football, the evening will conclude with a choral arrangement of The Best of the Beach Boys.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are £13 (£1 child/full-time student), available on the door or in advance, by telephone on 07570 454744, email email@example.com or online at www.allaboutstalbans.com.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly