Tragedy Julius Caesar plays out in St Albans’ Roman theatre
- Credit: Blackbox Theatre
William Shakespeare’s Roman epic Julius Caesar will be performed in suitable surroundings in St Albans.
Black Box Theatre Company presents the Bard’s dark, political tragedy at the Roman Theatre of Verulamium on Friday, September 7 and Saturday, September 8.
Reflecting the 2,000-year-old venue, this version of Julius Caesar takes place in a Roman Britain, in a corner of Caesar’s empire where Celts and Romans coincide.
The growing cultural and political tensions escalate to a chaotic, blood-soaked struggle for power, and the violent destruction of the Roman republic.
Blood and dust will mix as great men rise and fall in the ultimate exploration of legitimate power.
You may also want to watch:
Drawing inspiration from St Albans’ Roman heritage, Julius Caesar promises to be brutal, alive and exciting.
Performed in a real Roman ruin, in Bluehouse Hill on the Gorhambury Estate, you can see the play from 6.30pm both nights, with a running time of approximately two hours.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 9 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
The play comes with a warning of scenes of graphic violence.
Black Box was founded in 2016 by Emily Carhart, Freya Mitchell and Amber Williams with a view to creating theatre that challenged both traditional casting and traditional use of performance space.
• Tickets for Julius Caesar are available at www.ticketsource.co.uk/blackboxproductions