Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker coming to St Albans screen
- Credit: Supplied by The Alban Arena
Fresh from leading the BAFTA nominations, catch global smash hit movie Joker on screen in St Albans.
Now that panto Sleeping Beauty has finished, movie Joker can be seen at The Alban Arena on Tuesday, January 14 at 7.30pm.
Joker (15) dominated today's 2020 EE British Academy Film Awards nominations.
As well as star Joaquin Phoenix being up for best actor for starring in the origin story of Batman's nemesis, Joker gained 10 other nominations - one more than its nearest rivals, The Irishman and Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.
Is it worth 11 nominations? See for yourself in St Albans next week.
You may also want to watch:
The multi-million dollar earning psychological thriller film, directed by Todd Phillips, gives its infamous central character a chillingly plausible origin story that serves as a brilliant showcase for its star (Joaquin Phoenix) and a dark evolution for comics-inspired cinema.
Forever alone in a crowd, failed stand-up comedian Arthur Fleck seeks connection as he walks the streets of Gotham City.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Arthur wears two masks - the one he paints for his day job as a clown, and the guise he projects in a futile attempt to feel like he's part of the world around him.
Isolated, bullied and disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow descent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as the Joker.
Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy, Brett Cullen, Glenn Fleshler, Bill Camp, Shea Whigham, and Marc Maron also appear in supporting roles.
Tickets cost £7, and £5.
Before Joker terrorises audiences, American thriller The Good Liar (15) is showing at The Alban Arena on Thursday, January 9 at 7.30pm.
Legendary actors Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen star together on screen for the first time in this suspenseful drama about the secrets people keep and the lies they live.
Career con-man Roy (McKellen) sets his sights on his latest mark: recently widowed Betty (Mirren), worth millions and he means to take it all.
But as the two draw closer, what should have been another simple swindle takes on the ultimate stakes.
Directed by Bill Condon and written by Jeffrey Hatcher, The Good Liar is based on the novel of the same name by Nicholas Searle.
For tickets, book online at www.alban-arena.co.uk or call The Alban Arena box office on 01727 844488.