John Cooper Clarke and Stephen K Amos at the Alban Arena
POET and performer John Cooper Clarke takes to stage of the Alban Arena next Wednesday, October 3.
His biting, satirical and political verse delivered in his rapid-fire performance style resonated with the punk movement that had begun to pick up speed in the late 70s.
He began to draw huge crowds in his own right after touring with most of punk’s seminal and ground-breaking bands including Sex Pistols, The Clash, Buzzcocks, The Fall and Elvis Costello to name but a few.
Continuing to write new work from home, he has a plethora of new poems and monologues which he performs solo, alongside his best known works such as Beasley Street and Evidently Chickentown.
Three of his poems are now in the GCSE syllabus, he is studied by many A-level students and his poetry is prolific within UK and Irish University courses.
You may also want to watch:
He comes on stage at 8pm and tickets are �17.50 with concessions �15, available from the box office on 01727 844488 or online at www.alban-arena.co.uk
Richard Street, lead singer of The Temptations from 1971 to 1993, appears with the American vocal band at the Arena next Thursday, October 4.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
With all but one of the original members of The Temptations having passed on, Richard presents the music of The Temptations in its original five-man group format.
The line-up consists of Lawrence Jones, Eddie Watkins, Larry Johnson and Bob Henley III, who was formerly with Smokey Robinson.
Presenting all of The Temptations best-loved hits, they come on stage at 7.30pm. Tickets are �21.50 with concessions �19.50.
Dance company Younique are putting on Dance Infinity at 6pm next Saturday, October 6.
They perform a programme of works from the rhythmic complexity of tap to the intense beats of street dance.
Younique was founded in 2011 and tickets to see them are �13.
Feelgood comedian and star of television and radio, Stephen K Amos is back at Alban Arena at 8pm next Sunday, October 7, with his new stand-up show.
He has entertained audiences all over the world with his assured delivery and his original material. He is in great demand as an actor and headliner on the international comedy circuit.
Tickets are �18.50.
n Camp comedian and Celebrity Big Brother winner Julian Clary, who is appearing at the Arena next Friday, October 5, has sold out.