JimMullen and Don Weller at Herts Jazz Club
TWO giants of the music scene combine in a rare collaboration at Herts Jazz Club this Sunday.
Jim Mullen and Don Weller will be joined by a top rhythm section for the gig from 7.45pm to 10.30pm at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City.
Jim Mullen is widely regarded as the leading exponent of jazz guitar in this country while Don Weller has been a unique and powerful presence for decades.
Glaswegian guitarist Jim performed with late saxophonist Dick Morrissey and their band Morrissey Mullen in the late 70s and early 80s. Since then, he has furrowed a straighter path, working with Mose Allison, Claire Martin, Jimmy Smith and Georgie Fame and releasing the occasional solo album.
By the late 60s, Don had become an important figure on the UK jazz scene, working extensively with Stan Tracey, Art Themen and others. In subsequent decades he continued to lead his quartet and big band and also worked with Bryan Spring, Bobby Wellins and Alan Barnes, appearing at London clubs and festivals nationwide.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are �11 in advance from http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, �13 on the door and �5 for students and under 21s.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style