JimMullen and Don Weller at Herts Jazz Club
TWO giants of the music scene combine in a rare collaboration at Herts Jazz Club this Sunday.
Jim Mullen and Don Weller will be joined by a top rhythm section for the gig from 7.45pm to 10.30pm at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City.
Jim Mullen is widely regarded as the leading exponent of jazz guitar in this country while Don Weller has been a unique and powerful presence for decades.
Glaswegian guitarist Jim performed with late saxophonist Dick Morrissey and their band Morrissey Mullen in the late 70s and early 80s. Since then, he has furrowed a straighter path, working with Mose Allison, Claire Martin, Jimmy Smith and Georgie Fame and releasing the occasional solo album.
By the late 60s, Don had become an important figure on the UK jazz scene, working extensively with Stan Tracey, Art Themen and others. In subsequent decades he continued to lead his quartet and big band and also worked with Bryan Spring, Bobby Wellins and Alan Barnes, appearing at London clubs and festivals nationwide.
Tickets are �11 in advance from http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, �13 on the door and �5 for students and under 21s.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic