JimMullen and Don Weller at Herts Jazz Club
TWO giants of the music scene combine in a rare collaboration at Herts Jazz Club this Sunday.
Jim Mullen and Don Weller will be joined by a top rhythm section for the gig from 7.45pm to 10.30pm at Campus West, Welwyn Garden City.
Jim Mullen is widely regarded as the leading exponent of jazz guitar in this country while Don Weller has been a unique and powerful presence for decades.
Glaswegian guitarist Jim performed with late saxophonist Dick Morrissey and their band Morrissey Mullen in the late 70s and early 80s. Since then, he has furrowed a straighter path, working with Mose Allison, Claire Martin, Jimmy Smith and Georgie Fame and releasing the occasional solo album.
By the late 60s, Don had become an important figure on the UK jazz scene, working extensively with Stan Tracey, Art Themen and others. In subsequent decades he continued to lead his quartet and big band and also worked with Bryan Spring, Bobby Wellins and Alan Barnes, appearing at London clubs and festivals nationwide.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are �11 in advance from http://www.hawthornetheatre.co.uk/whatsonstage.html, �13 on the door and �5 for students and under 21s.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital