It’s the little things that matter for Alban Arena panto
IN the wake of an outcry over the use of children instead of dwarves at a panto in Wolverhampton, the Alban Arena has given an assurance that it won’t be cutting corners.
Like the theatre in the Midlands which chose to use children rather than dwarves, the Arena is staging Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs this year.
But the St Albans venue has stressed it has seven bona fide acting dwarves performing in the pantomime not children in masks with recorded voices as the show in Wolverhampton chose to do to save money.
A spokesperson for the Arena said: “Many of the cast you’ll recognise from Harry Potter, Life’s Too Short, Your Highness and hundreds of pantomimes over the last 30 years.
“Far from making the audience feel uncomfortable they entertain to rapturous applause and this year is no exception!”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesperson said that the Arena had moved towards Evolution Productions in the first place because of their unwillingness to compromise production values in the face of higher costs which, elsewhere, had resulted in children being used more frequently and musicians replaced by pre-recorded music.
He added that was one of the reasons why this year’s panto was now the best-selling show in the Arena’s history.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs runs until Sunday, January 1, and tickets and further information can be obtained from www.alban-arena.co.uk or from the box office on 01727 844488.