It’s the little things that matter for Alban Arena panto
IN the wake of an outcry over the use of children instead of dwarves at a panto in Wolverhampton, the Alban Arena has given an assurance that it won’t be cutting corners.
Like the theatre in the Midlands which chose to use children rather than dwarves, the Arena is staging Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs this year.
But the St Albans venue has stressed it has seven bona fide acting dwarves performing in the pantomime not children in masks with recorded voices as the show in Wolverhampton chose to do to save money.
A spokesperson for the Arena said: “Many of the cast you’ll recognise from Harry Potter, Life’s Too Short, Your Highness and hundreds of pantomimes over the last 30 years.
“Far from making the audience feel uncomfortable they entertain to rapturous applause and this year is no exception!”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesperson said that the Arena had moved towards Evolution Productions in the first place because of their unwillingness to compromise production values in the face of higher costs which, elsewhere, had resulted in children being used more frequently and musicians replaced by pre-recorded music.
He added that was one of the reasons why this year’s panto was now the best-selling show in the Arena’s history.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs runs until Sunday, January 1, and tickets and further information can be obtained from www.alban-arena.co.uk or from the box office on 01727 844488.