It’s all Greek for St Albans’ Company of Teens
- Credit: Archant
A group of talented local teens is giving an ancient Greek classic the 21st-Century treatment in a stage adaptation of Homer’s classic tale, The Odyssey.
The play, which is showing at the Abbey Theatre Studio next week, was written by local playwright Ian Jordan and is being performed by the Company of Teens, the youth arm of the Company of Ten.
Based on Homer’s epic poem, it tells the story of Greek hero Odysseus’s perilous 10-year journey home to his wife and son at the end of the Trojan War, tackling a sea of gods and three cyclops along the way.
But there are a few notable differences between the original story and the Company of Teens version as director Kelsey Jordan explained: “For starters, all of our gods are businesswomen dressed in power suits. We’ve also given the play a modern soundtrack and there’s even some karaoke.”
While the tale may not seem like an obvious choice for a production by teenagers, Kelsey said the Company of Teens had more than risen to the challenge.
You may also want to watch:
“We knew the story would stretch them but after the success of The Tempest last year, we also knew it was nothing they couldn’t handle. These are such talented young actors, and they have worked together brilliantly to create some truly memorable characters.
“The end result is a thoroughly original and entertaining piece of theatre, and we’re so excited about sharing it with the public.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Performances take place in the Abbey Theatre Studio next Thursday, July 17, and Friday, July 18. To book tickets go to www.abbeytheatre.org.uk or call the box office on 01727 857861.