International art at St Albans Abbey
ART by street children has gone on show in St Albans Abbey accompanied by a series of photographs. The art work by children from India, Mexico and Swaziland is being exhibited in the Chapter House until Friday, August 28. It is being sponsored by The Co-o
ART by street children has gone on show in St Albans Abbey accompanied by a series of photographs.
The art work by children from India, Mexico and Swaziland is being exhibited in the Chapter House until Friday, August 28.
It is being sponsored by The Co-operative Membership and mounted by The Big Picture Co-operative which works with street children across the world.
The exhibition features drawings, paintings and collages together with photographs taken by artist Paul Sudlow on a recent visit to Mumbai in India.
You may also want to watch:
Paul worked at the Tender Hands shelter, running art workshops and accompanying staff as they visited children on the streets. His photographs give an insight into the hardships of life on the street as well as the positive care and attention the children receive at the shelter.
Local Co-operative and membership officer Julia Fuller said: "Our sponsorship of this exhibition underlines our commitment to helping children and young people all over the world.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
"By displaying this artwork in public, we can give people in St Albans an insight into the lives of these children while supporting the valuable and innovative work that The Big Picture Co-operative does."
Opening times are 10am until 4.30pm Monday to Saturday.