High School Musical at the Abbey Theatre, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
High School Musical is about to hit the stage of the Abbey Theatre in the capable hands of St Albans Youth Music theatre.
Their exuberant production of the modern Disney classic can be seen at 7.30pm from next Thursday, April 10, until Saturday, April 12, with a Saturday matinee at 2.30pm.
Based on the hugely successful 2006 Disney movie of the same name, the play is loosely based on the story of Romeo & Juliet, with some obvious similarities to the 1970s blockbuster Grease.
High school junior Troy Bolton, captain of the Wildcats basketball team, and brainy new student Gabriella Montez hit it off despite being from rival cliques. But when they decide to audition for parts in the upcoming school show, not everyone is thrilled about their decision – or their blossoming romance.
Said director Ellena Ophira: “This show may be misconstrued as being just frivolous and cheesy, and of course it is both of these things. But underneath the glitzy façade, it is also a story about being true to yourself, following your dreams and being accepting and supportive of your friends – all the things we would wish for young people today.”
You may also want to watch:
To book tickets go to www.abbeytheatre.org.uk or call the box office on 01727 857861.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears