Herts Jazz Festival this weekend
- Credit: Archant
The Herts Jazz Festival, dubbed “one of Britain’s finest jazz events”, kicks off tomorrow alongside a unique exhibition featuring photos fron the legendary jazz club which has spawned it.
Taken by the late Denis Williams, former photographer of the Herts Advertiser’s sister paper the Welwyn Hatfield Times, the special collection features portraits of musical greats including Stan Tracey, Don Rendell, Peter King, Don Weller, and Guy Barker.
A section of photos called Visitors from the USA also boasts several American legends prominent on the jazz music scene who have frequented Herts Jazz from 1991-2000.
The exhibition is a collaboration between Herts Jazz Club and the New Maynard Gallery and will run until October 14 at Campus West in Welwyn Garden City.
Festival-goers can enjoy six jazz trios playing late night and daytime sessions free in the Hawthorne Theatre foyer over the weekend with headliners Georgie Fame, Django Bates and Stan Tracey.
Festival artistic director, Clark Tracey said: “We’ve got three of Britain’s jazz giants headlining for us this year and a fantastic range of artists performing over the whole weekend – it is going to be a really great festival for jazz-lovers.
“The exhibition of Denis Williams’ photos will add even more to the pleasure – especially to Herts Jazz regulars of the 1990s.”
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 3 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 4 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 5 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 6 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 7 St Albans Pub Pride: Why we need to tackle monkeypox prejudice
- 8 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 9 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
The Herts Jazz festival runs from tomorrow (20 until Sunday. For more information visit http://www.hertsjazzfestival.co.uk/index.html