Hello Dolly! marks operatic society director’s final farewell to the stage
- Credit: Archant
Director and choreographer Mike Monk will be saying Hello Dolly! when Radlett Light Opera Society (RLOS) performs the show next week.
But in actual fact the production at the Radlett Centre from November 17 to 21 is Mike’s swansong - and a very apt one.
He explained: “This show for me will be a very emotional experience as Hello Dolly! was the very first musical I performed in when joining ‘Am Dram’ down at Margate Operatic when I was 16.
“Thus I thought it very appropriate to retire after the very same show - coming full circle so to speak.”
Hello Dolly! centres around the matchmaking exploits of Dolly Levi, née Gallagher (played by Jemma Puri) who, as well as arranging matches for her clients, has her eye set on someone in particular herself.
You may also want to watch:
RLOS Chair Sarah Buttler said: “We are always aware that our local audience in Radlett is a stone’s throw away from West End Theatre and that means we have to work very hard to entertain those who come to support us. Amateur doesn’t mean forgotten lines, dodgy sets and handmade costumes.”
She added: “In fact, our costumes for Hello, Dolly! are being hired from the costumiers who supplied the touring production starring Anita Dobson. Local musical theatre really is thriving in Radlett and we would love people to give us a try - it’s cheaper but just as entertaining as the West End.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 10 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
Tickets for Hello Dolly! are available from the Radlett Centre box office on 01923 859291.