Hello Dolly! marks operatic society director’s final farewell to the stage
- Credit: Archant
Director and choreographer Mike Monk will be saying Hello Dolly! when Radlett Light Opera Society (RLOS) performs the show next week.
But in actual fact the production at the Radlett Centre from November 17 to 21 is Mike’s swansong - and a very apt one.
He explained: “This show for me will be a very emotional experience as Hello Dolly! was the very first musical I performed in when joining ‘Am Dram’ down at Margate Operatic when I was 16.
“Thus I thought it very appropriate to retire after the very same show - coming full circle so to speak.”
Hello Dolly! centres around the matchmaking exploits of Dolly Levi, née Gallagher (played by Jemma Puri) who, as well as arranging matches for her clients, has her eye set on someone in particular herself.
You may also want to watch:
RLOS Chair Sarah Buttler said: “We are always aware that our local audience in Radlett is a stone’s throw away from West End Theatre and that means we have to work very hard to entertain those who come to support us. Amateur doesn’t mean forgotten lines, dodgy sets and handmade costumes.”
She added: “In fact, our costumes for Hello, Dolly! are being hired from the costumiers who supplied the touring production starring Anita Dobson. Local musical theatre really is thriving in Radlett and we would love people to give us a try - it’s cheaper but just as entertaining as the West End.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Look! Sneak peek inside Harpenden's new Eric Morecambe Centre
Tickets for Hello Dolly! are available from the Radlett Centre box office on 01923 859291.