Harpenden singer goes bananas for Transmission Impossible theme
A BARBERSHOP singer from Harpenden has spiced up his retirement by becoming the new voice of a children s TV programme. Don Weller, aged 71, who sings bass for the Kings of Herts male barbershop chorus, can be heard every Saturday morning singing the th
A BARBERSHOP singer from Harpenden has spiced up his retirement by becoming the new voice of a children's TV programme.
Don Weller, aged 71, who sings bass for the Kings of Herts male barbershop chorus, can be heard every Saturday morning singing the theme tune to CBBC show Transmission Impossible, thanks to an opportunity set up by his son.
Dan Weller, aged 29, is a music producer and song writer and, after a tip-off from a friend whose husband works on Transmission Impossible, he composed a potential theme tune for the show and submitted it to CBBC.
Dan, who lives with his parents in Grove Road when he's not staying at his London studio, was given a brief to write both an introduction and a song about the brilliance of bananas, the favourite fruit of one of the show's main characters, Oucho.
You may also want to watch:
Don said that his booming voice was considered perfect for his son's lyrics. "The brief said it was looking for an older man who's well-spoken and sounds like a wartime announcer and Dan turned to me! It's very weird to hear yourself on TV, especially singing about strange characters with names like Oucho."
Transmission Impossible first aired in May this year and is just approaching the end of its first series. You can catch the show every Saturday morning at 10am on CBBC.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 10 St Albans house prices hit record high