Harpenden photographer Matt getting in the picture
FREELANCE documentary photographer Matt Johnston is putting on his first solo exhibition in Eton this month. Matt, who comes from Harpenden and is a former pupil of Sir John Lawes School where he originally learned photography, is exhibiting throughout Oc
FREELANCE documentary photographer Matt Johnston is putting on his first solo exhibition in Eton this month.
Matt, who comes from Harpenden and is a former pupil of Sir John Lawes School where he originally learned photography, is exhibiting throughout October at the Rhubarb and Custard Gallery in the town.
Aged 22, Matt's exhibition is entitled West Texas and exhibits images from time spent in Midland and Odessa, two small towns in West Texas. The cookie cutter landscape, football religion and the people of the Permain Basin give a view of two towns in the middle of a desert.
While loneliness is the overriding response to the images, they never show the true expanse of Texas but focus on the middle distance.
Matt, who won the best photographer award at the Phoenix Media Festival, has been influenced by artists such as Jeff Brouws and Stephen Shore.
Further details can be found at www.mjohnstonphotography.co.uk
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 6 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 7 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 8 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group