Harpenden Light Operatic Society celebrates sixty not out
SIXTY glorious years notched up by the Harpenden Light Operatic Society (HLOS) were celebrated at the Public Halls by 200 members.
The audience, whose ages spanned more than seven decades, enjoyed a variety of music, dancing and comedy sketches from an array of musicals from Gilbert and Sullivan’s best-known operettas to Hairspray and Les Miserables, all performed by past and present members of the society.
Two members, Cynthia Southern and Avril Roberts, were presented with the NODA 60-year-old service awards, both having been very involved with the society since its formation in 1950.
Cynthia, the society’s eldest member, was joined by 11-year-old Georgina Eagles, the youngest at the celebration, to cut the 60th birthday cake.
Proceeds from ticket sales for the celebration raised �1,100 which was donated to Homestart and the Herts Air Ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
HLOS will be continuing its celebration in October by staging Gilbert and sullivan’s Gondoliers at Harpenden Public Halls. More information can be found on the website www.harpenden-operatic.co.uk
- 1 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 2 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square