Harpenden Light Operatic Society celebrates sixty not out
SIXTY glorious years notched up by the Harpenden Light Operatic Society (HLOS) were celebrated at the Public Halls by 200 members.
The audience, whose ages spanned more than seven decades, enjoyed a variety of music, dancing and comedy sketches from an array of musicals from Gilbert and Sullivan’s best-known operettas to Hairspray and Les Miserables, all performed by past and present members of the society.
Two members, Cynthia Southern and Avril Roberts, were presented with the NODA 60-year-old service awards, both having been very involved with the society since its formation in 1950.
Cynthia, the society’s eldest member, was joined by 11-year-old Georgina Eagles, the youngest at the celebration, to cut the 60th birthday cake.
Proceeds from ticket sales for the celebration raised �1,100 which was donated to Homestart and the Herts Air Ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
HLOS will be continuing its celebration in October by staging Gilbert and sullivan’s Gondoliers at Harpenden Public Halls. More information can be found on the website www.harpenden-operatic.co.uk
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters