Harpenden Choral Society on excellent form
HARPENDEN Choral Society excelled themselves last Saturday night in the High Street Methodist Church Hall, Harpenden. A concert of baroque music by Purcell, Blow and Handel featured, all eloquently conducted by John Andrews who has a masterly control of
HARPENDEN Choral Society excelled themselves last Saturday night in the High Street Methodist Church Hall, Harpenden.
A concert of baroque music by Purcell, Blow and Handel featured, all eloquently conducted by John Andrews who has a masterly control of this aspiring choir.
The King's Sinfonietta accompanied with aplomb. Solos by oboe and recorders were commendable and the timpanist gave great support.
All five soloists gave an astounding performance. Joanne Forbes, soprano, Alexander L'Estrange, counter tenor, David Sheringham, counter tenor, Sean Clayton, tenor, and Jonathan Gunthorpe, baritone, all interacted in the most sensitive and musical way. An excellent ensemble.
You may also want to watch:
Handel's Utrecht Te Deum was presented superbly and especially an enviable quartet from the soloists. The Ode to St Cecilia 1691 was unquestionably outstanding.
A great feast of sound was to be heard by all. Come Ye Sons of Art by Purcell is divided into nine sections. After the vibrant overture, the soloists and choir delighted the audience with a cornucopia of sound.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 8 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 9 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
Flutes were secure and the oboe featured well. Solos were welcome and received robustly. This orchestra really supports the choir well. What a delightful evening of choral music.