Harpenden Choral Society on excellent form
HARPENDEN Choral Society excelled themselves last Saturday night in the High Street Methodist Church Hall, Harpenden. A concert of baroque music by Purcell, Blow and Handel featured, all eloquently conducted by John Andrews who has a masterly control of
HARPENDEN Choral Society excelled themselves last Saturday night in the High Street Methodist Church Hall, Harpenden.
A concert of baroque music by Purcell, Blow and Handel featured, all eloquently conducted by John Andrews who has a masterly control of this aspiring choir.
The King's Sinfonietta accompanied with aplomb. Solos by oboe and recorders were commendable and the timpanist gave great support.
All five soloists gave an astounding performance. Joanne Forbes, soprano, Alexander L'Estrange, counter tenor, David Sheringham, counter tenor, Sean Clayton, tenor, and Jonathan Gunthorpe, baritone, all interacted in the most sensitive and musical way. An excellent ensemble.
Handel's Utrecht Te Deum was presented superbly and especially an enviable quartet from the soloists. The Ode to St Cecilia 1691 was unquestionably outstanding.
A great feast of sound was to be heard by all. Come Ye Sons of Art by Purcell is divided into nine sections. After the vibrant overture, the soloists and choir delighted the audience with a cornucopia of sound.
- 1 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 2 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 3 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 4 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 5 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 Recap: Rail firm cancels trains due to Herts 'operational issue'
- 8 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 9 Woodland access saved by Chiswell Green campaigner
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Flutes were secure and the oboe featured well. Solos were welcome and received robustly. This orchestra really supports the choir well. What a delightful evening of choral music.