Grimethorpe Colliery Band coming to Harpenden for afternoon concert
- Credit: Supplied by Harpenden Public Halls
The famous Grimethorpe Colliery Band will be performing at Harpenden Public Halls later this month.
There are colliery bands and there’s the Grimethorpe Colliery Band.
The world’s most famous colliery band will be performing in Harpenden later this month.
You can see the brass band in concert at Harpenden Public Halls on Sunday, February 17 at 3pm.
Formed in 1917, during the First World War, Grimethorpe Colliery Band is a British institution, with a slew of national championship titles under their belts, including 16 Brass In Concert Championship titles, 11 times Yorkshire Regional Champions, two English National Championship victories, four times British Open Champions and four times National Champion Brass Band of Great Britain.
You may also want to watch:
The South Yorkshire-based band’s diverse and noted concert performances include those at the FIFA World Cup, BAFTA Awards, BBC Proms, Eurovision and the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, together with a wealth of national and international television and radio appearances and professional recordings.
The band has been the recipient of two gold discs, as well as a BAFTA nomination for its contributions to the global hit movie Brassed Off, for which Grimethorpe was the focal point.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 'Witty, dramatic and rewarding' Skylight set for Abbey Theatre in St Albans
Playing a huge variety of music, from Bohemian Rhapsody to Beethoven and Jerusalem to Jurassic Park, there’s music for all tastes in this fantastic afternoon concert.
Be sure to book your tickets soon.
They cost £20 and are expected to sell out, with availability already limited.
• For more, and to book seats, visit www.harpendenpublichalls.co.uk or call the box office on 01582 767525.