Grimethorpe Colliery Band coming to Harpenden for afternoon concert
- Credit: Supplied by Harpenden Public Halls
The famous Grimethorpe Colliery Band will be performing at Harpenden Public Halls later this month.
There are colliery bands and there’s the Grimethorpe Colliery Band.
The world’s most famous colliery band will be performing in Harpenden later this month.
You can see the brass band in concert at Harpenden Public Halls on Sunday, February 17 at 3pm.
Formed in 1917, during the First World War, Grimethorpe Colliery Band is a British institution, with a slew of national championship titles under their belts, including 16 Brass In Concert Championship titles, 11 times Yorkshire Regional Champions, two English National Championship victories, four times British Open Champions and four times National Champion Brass Band of Great Britain.
You may also want to watch:
The South Yorkshire-based band’s diverse and noted concert performances include those at the FIFA World Cup, BAFTA Awards, BBC Proms, Eurovision and the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, together with a wealth of national and international television and radio appearances and professional recordings.
The band has been the recipient of two gold discs, as well as a BAFTA nomination for its contributions to the global hit movie Brassed Off, for which Grimethorpe was the focal point.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
Playing a huge variety of music, from Bohemian Rhapsody to Beethoven and Jerusalem to Jurassic Park, there’s music for all tastes in this fantastic afternoon concert.
Be sure to book your tickets soon.
They cost £20 and are expected to sell out, with availability already limited.
• For more, and to book seats, visit www.harpendenpublichalls.co.uk or call the box office on 01582 767525.